Glynhill Ladies 1s victorious against Inverleith!

Inverleith v Kelburne - 3rd November 2012 - 1400 hours at Mary Erskine School

It proved to be third time lucky for Kelburne as they recorded their first win of the season on a crisp November afternoon in the Capital. Kelburne started the game well and were able to keep possession at the back with little problems.  However, as Inverleith adjusted their press they began to force Kelburne to turn over the ball in dangerous areas.  This resulted in a number of fast break opportunities for Inverleith.  They were unable to create much from these until a break down the left by an Inverleith forward.  The ball was crossed hard into the circle and some sloppy Kelburne marking allowed an Inverleith player to sweep the ball first time into the goal from close range.

Going a goal down spurred the Kelburne team on and from then on their performance was a lot more solid.  They kept possession well and some good link up play between Kerri Nunnery and Amy Hyslop created a chance in the circle.  The result was a penalty corner although the opportunity to equalise was not taken.  A short time before the end of the half, Kelburne did equalise through a well worked penalty corner conversion by Emma Barlow.  Inverleith were unlucky not to get a second, the umpire blowing for a penalty corner shortly before the ball was put in the goal.  The score at the half time break was 1-1.

The second half began at a much higher tempo and both teams seemed desperate to take the lead.  This created an open game with chances falling to both sets of forwards.  With about twenty minutes of the game remaining, some quick thinking by Stevie McInally taking a free hit in the attacking 25 created space for a strike from the top of the D.  The keeper was wrong footed and Kelburne celebrated taking the lead.

The remainder of the game proved tense.  Kelburne were down to ten players temporarily as Adele Dastey was harshly penalised for not retreating five metres.  Inverleith pressed the Kelburne defenders hard and a few mistakes were made.  Fortunately, Inverleith had left it too late.  Kelburne held on to take the full three points.  A well fought game and deserved win for the Paisley side.

Final Score 1 - 2

The Kelburne girls should take confidence from their win and will be looking to work their way up the table with a win against Grange Edinburgh Ladies next weekend.

Match Report by Kate Longbotham