U18's lose out to Watsonians

On Sunday 14th April Kelburne under 18s headed to Peffermill to play in the semifinal of the Scottish Cup. 14 players made the journey along with coaches Duncan McInnes, Mark Connor and Craig Morton. 
The only noticeable absentee from the Kelburne squad was Ruariadh McArthur. The team went through in high spirits after having qualified in style on the 16th September. In the semifinal they faced a Watsonians side who had recently won the under 16 Scottish Cup. 
The game started well for Kelburne who had control of the game without creating any real chances and with Blair Martin in goals having very little to do. Unfortunately too many misplaced passes or wrong decisions coupled with a well organised Watsonians defence meant very little was created. That was until just past the midway of the first half when Andrew Duff picked up an excellent pass and found himself one on one with the keeper. As he took the ball round the keeper and was just about to finish he was impeded by the defender desperately trying to get back to make a tackle and he was unable to get a shot away. The umpire correctly called a penalty flick and up stepped Lee Morton. Lee hit a low hard shot to the keeper Cameron Spiteris' right but the Watsonians keeper was quickly across and managed to save. 
This drove Kelburne forward and they began to make some chances most noticeably gaining several short corners. It was from one of these that Kelburne took the lead when Andrew Duff managed to fire home with about 5 minutes remaining of the first half.
HT - Kelburne 1-0 Watsonians
Watsonians started the second half pushing for an equaliser and the next goal was going to be crucial. From a short corner the ball was not cleared from the Kelburne box and a prone Watsonians player managed to squeeze the ball past Blair Martin. This lifted Watsonians and they began to make some real chances with Blair Martin pulling off several excellent saves. Kelburne were still in the game and continued to make chances but, with about 6 minutes remaining, it was Watsonians who would take the lead. Matt Little of Watsonians found himself one on one with Blair and once again from the ground managed to push the ball into the net for his, and Watsonians, second. This seemed to energise Kelburne and suddenly they started playing their best free flowing hockey and creating some real chances. First the ball was fired through a crowd of players into the box but Connor McLean couldn't control. Then once again another pass was fired into the box through a crowd of players but Jack Jamieson was unable to control. Watsonians were still dangerous on the break and on one occasion 3 Watsonians broke into the Kelburne half only for Neil McIntyre to come across and hold up play to allow the Kelburne defence to get back and clear. 
It was getting frantic and with Kelburne desperately pushing for an equaliser Watsonians McQueen received a yellow card for time wasting. Kelburnes last chance was to be a short corner but the strike went wide and Watsonians held on for victory. Kelburne can rue not taking their chances as they converted only one of their 10 short corners and had several two on one opportunities. 
It was a disappointing end to the junior careers of Lee Morton and Ed Greaves but they can look back in pride at all they have achieved. They have also broke into the Kelburne 1st eleven and are representing their country at under 21 level whilst still only 17. 
Final thanks goes to JG Shepherd who made the journey to Edinburgh as a development umpire.
FT Kelburne 1-2 Watsonians
Kelburne would like to congratulate Watsonians who won the Scottish Cup with a 3-0 victory against Strathallan.
Big Thank You to Ian McIntyre for Match report