4th XI win on their travels

Helensburgh 1 - 6 Kelburne 4th XI

On an overcast but mild afternoon, Kelburne fielded a more recognisable team and were eager to bounce back from the previous week's defeat in their new league. There was some good play from Helensburgh when they got ball, fast and mobile, but they seemed to lacked cohesion, especially in defence.
Kelburne looked comfortable on the ball and played more as a unit with some good off the ball movement. In previous games the 4s have been found guilty with a lack of clinical finishing in front of goal but this was not going to be a problem this week as 'burne were to score the first goal before their umpire even managed to turn up! A scrappy team goal with the ball being turned over the line by Callum McNaught at the third attempt leading to a grumpy exchange with the Helensburgh keeper.
 The game quickly saw a second goal this time from John Fergusson, another scrappy affair, and by now Kelburne were beginning to get an eye for goal as the next goal John scored was an exquisite affair! A lovely through ball from Alan 'Alfie' Gillies, a little chip over the keeper with a more than grateful John ready to add to his tally. Chances were not in short supply with the Kelburne midfield snuffing out much of Helensburgh's efforts to revive their game, but not through a lack of trying. There were a couple of smart saves required from the 4s keeper to ensure the score sheet remained one sided before goal number four was claimed by Alfie after a few missed chances earlier in the game. It was a lovely finish beating the 'burgh keeper with a solid shot into the bottom left corner of goal. There was a resilient and defiant play by Helensborogh desperate to get back into the game, but with Kelburne defending so far up the field, most potential opportunities were contained to only midfield breaks and free hits that amounted to little.

Half time: 0-4

The 2nd half started much the way the 1st finished with Kelburne looking sharp, but also showing signs of fatigue following a committed first half. However, Alfie lashed in a ball heading out the right hand side of the D while still standing with his back to goal to claim his 2nd of the match.
Helensburgh, to their credit responded well, and determined not to be completely shut out in their home turf, began to take advantage of Kelburne's over exertions from the first half, taking the game to Kelburne and taking more control in midfield. From a clumsy effort in defence from a failed attack from Helensburgh that should have seen a routine sideline hit ease the pressure from Kelburne's defence, a heavily packed Helensburgh midfield closed down the ball and rapidly and dangerously broke for goal. A quick ball into the D and with the defence caught on the back foot and some sloppy man marking saw Helensburgh claim their first goal of the match.

Despite Helensborough having upped their physical game and starting to really apply pressure, temperaments also began running high. Despite a conservative effort to flood the Kelburne midfield, the attacks began running out of steam and petered out. Jack O'Connell finally closed the game up with a clean finish to a wonderful build up to claim our 6th and probably best team goal of the match.

All in all, a determined result from a very hungry Kelburne side that took advantage of every opportunity with clinical finishing from strong and fluid passing and high energy levels throughout the game. Brilliant bounce back from the last match and unhappy defeat to claim a fantastic result this Saturday. 

Full time: 1-6

Kelburne now have a week off before returning to league duty with a visit to Clydesdale on Saturday 5th October.