1st win of Season for Kelburne 3rd XI

Kelburne 3XI went into only their second game of the season on Saturday 12th October, following a tough 3-1 home defeat against a strong Western 3XI side the week before. 

This weeks opponents were Giffnock 2XI at home on pitch 1 at Glasgow Green. 

The Kelburne side had a few more experienced heads on it's side with David Fowler, Fraser Scott and new comer Charlie coming in to add a bit of protection for the very young side that had faced Western.

Giffnock 2XI started the game off and right from the beginning both teams looked eager to push players forward in an attempt to take the lead. After some great pressing from youngster Jack Jamieson the Kelburne side gained possession and were unfortunate not to be awarded a goal when a Kelburne cross into the 'D' deflected off a defender and into the Giffnock goal. However, the umpire had not seen this and chose not to award the goal. 

Frustrated but also motivated by this, the 3XI side pushed on and this time they did manage to put themselves ahead with goals from Fraser Bone and Sam McKinnon making it 2-0 to Kelburne at half time. 

The second half started with the home team being put under a little more pressure than they were used to in the first half, which left them being caught out a few times from the Giffnock sides counter attacks. A mix of good defending, reaction saves and good fortune kept the scoreline at 2-0 though. 

Shortly after, another goal from Sam McKinnon made the score 3-0, but at this point Kelburne started to get complacent and thought that they could switch off a little. This allowed Giffnock to break on them and score a well worked goal across the face of the keeper for an easy finish. 3-1. 

Taking momentum from their goal the away side started to push forward to get themselves back into the game. However, due to lack of numbers in the Giffnock defensive area and some brilliant attacking hockey, this only allowed Jack Jamieson to get on the scoresheet, as well as Fraser Bone adding a second to his tally for the day. This made the score 5-1. 

Sam McKinnon obviously wasn't letting the chance of a hat-trick go, linking up well with the midfield and other forwards, he broke into the 'D' and put away his third goal of the game. 6-1. 

From this point it was clear that this Kelburne side were starting to really enjoy their hockey and were playing some attractive hockey, playing the ball around the defence to create gaps in the Giffnock side then picking their moments to attack. Pushing forward on the left hand side young Jack Jamieson again created a chance for himself and hit a great strike high and across the goal, into the right hand side of the net, leaving the keeper with no chance. 7-1. 

There wasn't enough time for Giffnock to get back into the match and at that the game concluded with the scoreline staying at 7-1 to Kelburne. 

The 3XI now face a test against Hillhead 4XI on Saturday 19th October at Lower WindyEdge. This game will push back at 2:30pm.