5's Kick off Season with win

Pro-Life Fitness Kelburne 5's 3
HIllhead 5's                               0

Kelburne got their season started by taking the push back to get the match underway. The first few exchanges indicated that this could be an evenly matched game with neither team creating clear cut goal scoring opportunities. The mighty Kelburne soon got into their stride and were making advances forward through the midfield duo of Dick Donaldson and Willie Allan with the young forwards, Thomas and Fraser Whiting, testing the Hillhead keeper. At the other end the defenders had to look sharp to break down the Hillhead attack and protect stand in keeper Jak O'Connell.
On the thirteen minute mark a move starting from defence found Connor Sutherland, making his debut, at the back post and he was able to slot the ball low past the diving keeper. Just after the restart Niall Taylor came on and was quickly involved in setting up the next attack with a lovely pass across the D which Donladson flicked just past the post. On the twenty three minute mark Taylor came off to allow Craig Speirs to get his first taste of senior hockey and immediately he linked well with Rory Anderson who brought out a great save from the keeper. For the next few minutes it was Hillhead who were on the attack but it was from such an attack that Kelburne scored their second goal when Allan won the ball on his own twenty five meter line and went on his world famous solo run into the opponents D. He passed to Speirs who calmly steadied himself before hitting the backboard. The first short corner of the match went to Hillhead on the stroke of half time but they failed to trouble the goal.

Pro-Life Fitness Kelburne 5's  2 ? 0  Hillhead 5's  

The second half started and again was an open, even contest with the first chance falling to Kelburne through a short corner. Alan Bryce?s effort just sailed past the post. Hillhead quickly started the game and moved the ball to the Kelburne D where they won a short corner but again failed to convert. The defence quickly had the ball back in play and it was Taylor?s turn to come close to scoring when his shot hit the side of the post. Over the next few minutes both teams created openings but no clear cut chances until Bryce struck a low powerful shot from a short corner which had their keeper pulling off a great save low at the post. With only five minutes left to play it looked like there would be no more goals in this game, cue Willie Allan to fire in a quick shot as soon as he entered the D which caught the Hillhead defence napping. The clock counted down with no further attempts at goal from either team.


Final score
Pro-Life Fitness Kelburne  5's 3 ? 0  Hillhead 5's  

An excellent start to the season and it was hard to believe that six players were making their Kelburne senior debut today. They all looked composed on the pitch and did not fear the taller older opposition. Next week is a home game against Giffnock with push back of 12 o'clock at Glasgow Green.