Men's 2's maintain top spot

Thomson's Cycles Kelburne 3
Edinburgh University             2

Thomson's Cycles Kelburne travelled through to Edinburgh for a late afternoon start against the team who last year had a decisive say in last year's title race. The late start had had a prohibitive effect on the availability of players, so Kelburne welcomed back the well travelled Ross McPherson and Mark Connor.


The match started evenly, before Kelburne were able to assert their authority and push the students into their half, and winning a number of short corners. The usually deadly Scott Sutherland was unable to convert, through a mixture of great goalkeeping and wayward finishing. Unfortunately for Kelburne, it was from one of their own short corners, that Edinburgh were able to break upfield and open the scoring against the run of play, despite the exposed Barrows making an initial save, the onrushing forward was able to smuggle the ball home. 1-0

Things could've been worse for the Paisley side, from another short corner Fraser Scott was able to divert a goal bound shot around the post, to keep the deficit at one.

Play resumed in much the same manner, the Paisley side pushing the students deep into their half, eventually forcing an equaliser from a set piece move. A free hit was won outside the 25, and Fraser Hutchison recognising the situation hit the ball straight into the 'D' and Andrew Bremner was able to deflect the ball past the goalkeeper. 1-1, just before half time.

During the interval patience and perseverance were promoted,alongside a reshuffle, as the evening start, and late notice period, claimed another player leaving Kelburne with the bare eleven for the second half.

The calm and considered approach began to pay off for Kelburnethe backline of Connor Bain, Scott, Adam McInnes, and Harry Godfrey retaining the ball with quick ball pace around the back, and dealing with any breakaways. The midfield trio of McPherson, Fraser Hutchison and Ewan Carmichael were taking advantage of the high ball pace provided for them, to pull Edinburgh Uni about, and createchances for the eager forward line of Bremner, Steven "SAM"McKinnon and Connor.

The ball was won high up on the left before being recycled out through McPherson to Scott, his ball into the circle was too far for Connor, but the ever-alert SAM was able to steal in away from his marker and dive full length to deflect the ball into the top corner, leaving the 'keeper rooted. 1-3

At this stage Kelburne were looking comfortable, able to invite the Edinburgh side out and look to hit on the break, with a number of unbelievable saves and poor decision making keeping the score down. Unfortunately, this profligacy was to come back and haunt Kelburne, as young defender McInnes was forced off with a pulled hamstring, leaving the side a man short for the final 15 minutes. 

Edinburgh Uni 3s were encouraged by this, and pressed forward with the game becoming increasingly fractious as both sides incurred a number of cards resulting, in a further numerical imbalance. Uni were able to force home a second despite the best efforts of Barrows leading to a nail biting final 5 minutes. Another goal line clearance from Scott, and several superb saves from Barrows ensured the game finished with a victory for Kelburne 2s, leaving them top of the league with a game in hand. 

Thomson's Cycles Kelburne 2s will attempt to continue their winning streak, with a full squad, on Saturday the 18th as they welcome Inverleith 2s to Glasgow Green at 15.00.