Men's 5's in Strong Showing

Pro-Life Fitness Kelburne 5s    1
Glasgow University 3s              1
The game got underway with pushback being taken by Glasgow Uni. The first fifteen minutes of play was fairly even, open play with neither team creating scoring chances.
Shortly after coming on as a sub Lucas Farndale went on a solo run from left midfield and played a nice ball through to Jak O'Connell who saw his first time effort slide just past the post.
Minutes later Farndale went on another solo run and this time the ball fell to Finn Halliday who struck the post. After twenty four minutes the first short corner of the game was won by Kelburne after even more great play from Farndale.
The short corner was injected by Ian "Bambi" McIntyre stopped by Halliday for O'Conell to shoot at goal but he fooled the Uni team and played a nicely weighted pass to McIntyre at the back post who failed to make connection with the ball and the chance passed. This brought out the comment from spectator Neil McIntyre who said " whoever that player was at the back post should be subbed and dropped from the team for missing such a sitter".
More open play by both teams followed with David Ogilvie in goal having to dive to his right to pull off a great save and keep the score even. Kelburne did manage to win another short corner but again the ball did not find the backboard. Just before halftime the Uni team broke quickly from their own half and caught the Kelburne team napping and scored.
Halftime Pro-Life Fitness Kelburne 5s 0-1 Glasgow University 3s
Kelburne stared the second half with great belief that this game was still in their hands, that they had played good hockey in the first half and didn't deserve to be losing.
They knew that if they continued to play in the same way they would achieve a positive outcome. Unfortunately the first five minutes were all Glasgow Uni and saves from David Ogilvie in goal kept the score the same. During this period the Uni team won several short corners but failed to convert any.
Kelburne began to slowly claw their way back into this game and won a few short corners but did not score. Fraser Hutchison did have a wonderful solo effort saved by the keeper and this seemed to drive the team forward looking for that equalising goal. That goal finally came from the stick of O'Connell from the third short corner the team won in a row, each being perfectly injected by Halliday. The midfield were constantly driving forward trying to find openings but unfortunately could not make that break through the Uni defence.
Full time Pro-Life Fitness Kelburne 5s 1 - Glasgow University 3s 1
A fair result as both teams played good open hockey. A thank you to Adam McInnes who ran the bench and led the halftime team talk.
Next week team is away to Western Wildcats 4s