Pro-Life Kelburne Mens 2s Beat Dundee Wanderers 2s

On Sunday 22.10.17 - Kelburne made the trip up the A9/A90 to Dundee for a Sunday lunch time cup game. Coming off the back of a well needed league win Kelburne were more than keen to keep the good form going. 

First 5 mins started off well for Kelburne keeping most of the ball moving Dundee from side to side. Their dominance was rewarded with a short corner (SC), when ball was played down the line from M.Connor to JG. Shepherd who then helped it on to S.Singh who's great individual skilled helped draw a foul inside the D. 

The SC was pulled out quickly and with an improvised routine with a misplaced shot found B.Martin stick who tucked it away into the goal. 


This was a wake up call for Dundee who now started to get into the game. Moving the Kelburne defence by stringing a few passes together they were rewarded when an attack down the right hand side found itself inside the D with a shot on target hit a Kelburne foot behind the keeper. Penalty !  Penalty converted high into keeper's right and into the corner, 1-1.

It took a couple of minutes for Kelburne to get back into the game, playing the ball round the back with P.Nijsen, C.McClureand R.Morgan dictating the pace of the ball it wasn't long before Kelburne were rewarded again with a SC.. This time there was no mistake and was clinically put away by a never-ending runner veteran of the 2XI, Ewan Carmichael, whose shot from the top D was low and hard into the corner and Kelburne got their lead back, 2-1..

The 1st half was drawing to a close but not before Dundee got their 2nd equalizer by being given a gift from the Kelburne defender, who I will leave nameless (no.42!), the left back was getting closed down in the corner and seemingly to just give it to the forward who greatly received this gift and converted with no mistake. 

HT 2-2

The 2nd half started slowly with Kelburne having the majority of possession. Some good passing in and out of defence with F.Noble and C.Smith making some great leads and passes between them. The breakthrough however came from Dundee who found themselves in the D and with the help of confusion the defence from E. Carmichael and JG. Shepherd as well as M. Retson in goals, the ball seemed to find its way into the goal and Dundee took the lead for the first time in the game out of absolutely nothing, 3-2.

10 mins left to play - Kelburne's run in the cup was seriously at risk. With a quick set up from a 16 that Dundee weren't ready for the ball was played to the left to M.Connor who played the ball up the line for B.Martin who played a nice square ball to C.Bain who used his pace to get past his marker and suddenly found himself 1vs1 against the keeper and managed to just finish the ball underneath the keeper's pads and slotted the ball home to make it 3-3!

Kelburne wasn't settling for the draw and with penalties within 2 mins of getting the 3rd, they found themselves in front for the 3rd time in the game - with a great ball down the line from F.Noble who passed to C.Speirs who then passed to R.McClure in space on the right. With great awareness of his other teammates made a first time pass inside to Connor.Bain with the lead from the midfield again using his pace to get himself 1vs1 against the keeper, this time going on to his 'favourable' reserve stick side sending the ball into the goal and Kelburne through to the next round of the cup.  FT 4-3 to Kelburne.

With so many of the 2nd XI regulars being unavailable for this game, due to the half term break and work commitments, Club Kelburne showed the depth of its club again today by including a few new guys making their 2nd XI debut (F.Noble, C.Smith and C.Speirs), and even coach C.McClure played too!  They all stepped up in what was a big game for the paisley side. 

It wasn't the easiest of games but the Kelburne 2s showed their grit and determination, as always, and this got them through to a win.

Next week it's back to league action with an away game against Uddingston 2s.