Pro-Life Kelburne Mens 5s Beat Giffnock 2s 3-2

19.3.18On a baltic Monday evening the young Kelburne team took on a much changed Giffnock 2nd team. With the Kelburne boys having an excellent victory in the 1st league encounter of the season it was obvious that Giffnock were in no mood to feel similar pain. The game started with Kelburne trying to pass and move the ball nicely and Giffnock trying to force the ball straight through. As the 1st half continued Kelburne gained more control of the ball and a sweeping passing move down the right flank involving Scott Peters, Dick Donaldson and Jack Nelson led to the ball being fired across the ‘D’ for Arron Ohear to sweep into the goal at the back post. 1 nil to Kelburne and the boys were playing great. At the other end Giffnock were beginning to stretch the Kelburne defence and managed to gain a couple of short corners that were dealt with comfortably by the defenders. Young Fionn Wilson playing well in goals pulling off 2 good saves. Unfortunately a great strike from the top of the ‘D’ from their 3rd short corner lead to the equaliser. Nothing the young keeper could do about this one, the ball through the defence and past him before he could react! Throughout the 1st half and into the 2nd the ‘ever young’ Don Tervit tried to drive the boys on and made a number of defence splitting passes for Ross Gillies, Sam Hunt, Arron O'Hear and Jack Nelson to try and add to the score, but to no avail. As the 1st half was coming to an end spectator and part time clairvoyant Darren Wilson was just saying that now would be a good time to score, and that’s exactly what happened. Another fine passing move down the right lead to Kelburne’s 2nd goal. Young Rory Donaldson scoring his 1st senior goal with a spectacular effort. From almost the baseline he fired an unstoppable effort into the roof of the net. Half Time Giffnock 2s 1-2 Kelburne 5s The 2nd half started with a change of keeper for Kelburne with the even younger Rowan McClure taking over from the impressive Fionn.  Giffnock were the more dominant team at the start of the 2nd half and as a full team of adults they were beginning to add a more physical aspect to their game. One Giffnock forward attempted to run straight through Rowan in goal, but the young man showed no fear in holding his ground, stopping the attacker and saving the attempt at goal. Great effort! Giffnock did however manage to score again and make the score 2-2. With 15 minutes left in the game and Giffnock struggling to breakdown the young Kelburne team, the Giffnock tempers stared to flare and they started to argue amongst themselves. This gave Kelburne a lift and with renewed effort and vigour they closed down the Giffnock players at every opportunity, giving them no time on the ball to make a telling contribution. It’s was with this determination that Kelburne took the lead. Ross Gillies closed down the Giffnock centre half at pace forcing him to pass to their right back, young Ross continued his harassment of the defence by sprinting to close down the 2nd defender. The defender panicked and his attempted pass was intercepted by Dick who then drove towards the Giffnock goal. Seeing Don free to his left Dick passed to Don who didn’t disappoint. He rounded the 1st defender and as the 2nd defender tried to put Don into orbit he managed to slip the ball past the keeper and give Kelburne a 3-2 lead. 5 minutes left and with Giffnock really starting to put themselves about, the Kelburne team coolly controlled possession to finish the game with a victory. Throughout the game, a tremendous effort was put in by the Kelburne defence, particularly Callum Brown, Scott Peters & Callum Stewart. They were helped ‘a little’ by the elder Ewan Crawford and elder again Willie Hunt, but the young boys were outstanding. A great team performance on a freezing Monday night lead to another fine victory for this ever improving Kelburne 5th Team.  Final Score Giffnock 2s 2-3 Kelburne 5s