Kelburne Mens' 1s Lose Out vs Western Wildcats

Looking back to Saturday 12.10.19, Kelburne went into this game after securing their first point of the season the previous week with a 3-3 draw verses Hillhead. The game started off evenly but Western opened the scoring five minutes into the game. A strong run by a Western player causing some confusion in the Kelburne defenceand then Western then slotting the ball past Logan McClure in the Kelburne goal. Kelburne settled after going behind and came strongly back into the game. Tidy play from Gary Maitles resulted in Kelburne winning their first penalty corner of the game. Finn Halliday then stepped up and sent the Western goalkeeper the wrong way, sliding his drag flick into the right hand side of the net. The first quarter finished 1-1. The second quarter started evenly with good play down the Kelburne right hand side with Connor Bain. Western perhaps created more clear cut chances and would have pulled ahead in the game if it wasn't for some clever saves from Logan McClure. Kelburne then took the lead after a slick move down the right hand side. Maitles passing the ball out of defence to Spanard Pol Abericio, he then fed the ball to the baseline to Halliday who passed the ball across the Western circle. The ball fell nicely to Abericio who had continued his run and he was able to slot the ball under the Western keeper. The quarter finished with a number of corners to Western but McClure and the corner defence were able to deal with these efforts. Halftime score 2-1 to Kelburne. Western came out in the second half fighting and piled on the pressure. They created a number of clear chances. Kelburne we able to weather the storm but struggling to keep any meaningful possession in the Western half. Despite this they had a golden chance to make it 3-1 but Halliday was unable to get the ball past the imposing Western's keeper. Western's pressure paid off when they were able to squeeze in a rebound from a short corner. 3rd Quarter finished 2-2.

Kelburne so far had given a good account of themselves but the forth quarter would see them unravel. The score at the end of the game would be 7-2. This was a result of a number of corner variations by Western and poor decisions from a tired Kelburne. The team would come away frustrated at having such a poor forth quarter and squandering a number of chances. The team will be keen to earn some redemption this double header weekend. Saturday sees a return to Glasgow Green to play Watsonsions at 1.30pm and Sunday the team travels to Tayside to play Dundee Wanderers at 12pm, Dalnacraig.