Pro-Life Kelburne Mens 2s Lose Out to Clydesdale 2s

On Saturday 14.10.17 - Clydesdale 2XI 3-1 Kelburne 2XI

Kelburne 2s made the short trip to Titwood to face local rivals Clydesdale with a full squad of 16 players, a luxury unheard of last year. Regular goalkeeper Logan McClure had been called up to make his 1st XI debut, but Matthew Retson stepping in to deputise.

Kelburne started brightly, and pushed their hosts into their own half, having lots of the ball without creating many clear cut chances. Eventually this wastefulness and Clydesdale’s expansive tactics brought the Glasgow side back into the game, and they were able to force a number of short corners, the first was dealt with by a combination of number 1 runner Ewan Carmichael, with Retson saving the rebound. Five minutes later, another short corner was fired home to put Clydesdale 1-0 up. In response, Kelburne forced some short corners of their own. A training ground routine confused the defence, and allowed a clear shot at goal; unfortunately the resultant strike was lifted dangerously, and disallowed. Further chances were fashioned, but poor touches, and decision making prevented any meaningful action. The half finished 1-0 Clydesdale.

A team talk from coach McClure and a rallying cry from veteran Stuart Robin should have given Kelburne fresh impetus in the second half, however poor ball pace, decision-making and marking allowed Clydesdale to create further chances. Two were converted. A desperate tackle resulted in the rebound falling to an unmarked attacker at the back post, he was able to control and convert. A turnover of possession was punished as Clydesdale won, then converted a short corner with 20 minutes to go.

            This, eventually, seemed to spark Kelburne into life; Mark Connar won the ball, and passed to Robin, his thorough ball allowed Ross Wallace to set Conner Bain up n a shooting position, his shot going past the near post. Next up Kelburne provided a candidate for miss of the season. Great skill by Rory McClure bamboozled his marker (to shouts of "that's my boy" from the coach), allowing him to pick out Phil, his clever pass eliminated the goalkeeper and unfortunately it was also too quick for the forward standing free at the back post, who was unable to react as the ball rolled off the pitch to accompanying cries of anguish. Undeterred by this Kelburne continued to press for a goal.  Fraser Scott won the ball at the back and fed Ross McPherson, he beat two players before playing in Andrew Duff who took a heavy touch and the ball was lost. Good interplay down the left from Kelburne finished with Duff passing to Mike Jones in time and space in the centre of the pitch, his driven cross too quick for the forward who only needed a touch.

Eventually Kelburne got the goal their play deserved, Duff found the onrushing Wallace, his drive towards goal halted by the sprawling keeper, Jones was able to gather the rebound and fire home. 3-1.

            This was too little, too late for Kelburne who made the trip home lamenting a lack of intensity and poor decision making, they aim to put this right with a Dundonian Double header this weekend, Menzieshill 1.30@ Glasgow Green, then away to Dundee Wanderers on Sunday.