Pro-life Kelburne Men's 2s Storm to Victory in Scottish Cup Finals vs Grange


Saturday 5th May 2018 at Glasgow National Hockey Centre.

The last game of the season for the Men's 2s saw them take to a sunny Glasgow National Hockey Centre for the District Cup Final.  In front of a large home crowd the team led by Stuart Robin, in the absence of Captain Mark Connor, hoping to get some silverware after finishing 4th in Regional 1. The guys started off strong and determined to get the first goal.  Youngster Niall Taylor (Scotland U16's Performance) scooped the ball away from two fallen Grange players keeping it in play and stormed up the wing to a sprinting Alan Walker who took a shot but the ball went wide.  Soon after the first goal came with great link up play between Finn  Galloway and Rory McClure, allowing Rory to score his first goal of the game.  Grange pushed for an equalizer and shortly afterwards earned a short corner from the left side of the D, which they slotted home past Goalkeeper Logan McClure (Scotland U16's) to draw the game level. This only caused Kelburne to step up a gear and it was one way traffic with Rory and Finn linking up before half time to score another goal each. The whole team dominated in midfield with Ross, Ewan, Hutchy and Alan linking in with all the forwards and overlapping runs from Connor Bain, Fraser Scott and Adam McInnes as full backs. Youngsters Niall, Ciaran and Jackson all played their parts along with the more experienced Stuart, Duff and JG. The second half saw the Kelburne Forwards run amok with the Grange defence. Then a loss ball in the Kelburne half was secured by Adam who picked out a 50m pass to Andrew Duff who spotted Rory in the D who calmly lifted the ball over a rushing GK on his reverse stick to secure his hat trick and effectively sealed the game for Kelburne.  Grange chasing the game then withdrew their GK and opted for a kicking back, only to give away Penalty Stroke which was swiftly slotted away by Finn, making it 5-2. Youngster Cameron McIntyre and a change of Goalies saw young Matthew Reason enter the field for the last portion of the game.  Retson pulling off some unorthodox saves eventually conceding a drag flick from a resulting Short Corner, proving just to be a consolation prize for Grange however. The cup was collected by Stuart Robin and his young boy on what proved to be a great family day for the team and the club. Here's to next season and the whole team are now looking forward to the club dinner 19th May at the Glynhill hotel.  A big shout out to Coach Colin McClure for all his support and encouragement throughout the season and to Captain Mark Connor.

Well done boys, all very proud of you!